"Makeup is art. Every face is a blank canvas and every brush stroke creates something magical. Makeup enhances natural beauty but also builds confidence for everyday life. This book intends to inspire makeup artists, those wishing to enter this exciting career and those who want to experiment with, and develop, their makeup looks."
I have never read a makeup book like I would a novel. That was until I found 'Makeup is Art' By AOFM (Academy Of Freelance Makeup). I was blown away and fell in love with makeup all over again.
This is, by far, THE BEST makeup book I have ever bought. If you are a makeup artist or you are a fan of creative makeup, then this is THE book to buy. Everything you need to know about makeup is right here. It takes you through the A-Z of makeup- from Understanding Face Shapes to Makeup Textures to Natural Makeup to Editorial Makeup to Iconic Eras to Lighting to Body Art to Catwalk & Backstage to Tools & at the end, "How to get work in this competitive industry?"
I tried to find a flaw in this book, but I couldn't find any. The writers gave their 100% while creating it. The pictures are beyond awesome, the writing is to-the-point and very easy to imagine, and the tips & techniques shown could have only come from some of the most experienced & 'true' makeup artists. The one thing that makes this book different from other makeup books I have read is, it mentions & gives examples of the products used. They used high end/street brands (Chanel, MAC, Bobbi Brown) to drugstore brands (Maybelline, L'Oreal etc). It seems they love using Dermalogica for the skin.
|Makeup Artist & Founder of AOFM: Jana Ririnui and Makeup Artist & Creative Director: Lan Nguyen|
Here are some pics from the book:
|Working With Diamantes|
|1960's Dollybird Look|
|Smokey Eyes Tutorial|
Hope you enjoyed the pics. There are a lot more amazing ones but, of course, I couldn't put them all. I might be doing some looks from this book in the near future...it's just so inspiring! I'm sure that if you already know a bit about makeup and you read this book, you'll be able to paint a model for a magazine cover! :)
To conclude, here are a few useful tips from 'Makeup Is Art':
- Wait a few minutes for your moisturizer to settle into your skin before applying foundation, because if your face is damp & sticky, it can cause the foundation to clog up and look uneven.
- Always apply foundation in downwards strokes to minimize pores.
- Heavy coverage powders, like MAC Mineralize Skin Finish, take out any redness from the skin and even out discoloration..
- Foundations turn a shade darker on oily skin because it mixes with the skin's natural oils.
- For more staying power and better coverage, let concealer set for 5-10 seconds after application & before blending.
- Mix a highlighter with concealer to add brightness under the eyes and add flattering highlights to the face.
There are some more, but I can't remember them right now. I am going to read it again & keep a pen and some post-its ready.
Price ~ Rs.1166. It's a hardcover, so it's quite hard to handle while reading it in bed. My arms & neck & chest hurt, but I didn't care! =D
Rating ~ ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5. Highly recommended!
*To read my reviews on other Makeup & Beauty Books [Kevyn Aucoin, Nars, Bobbi Brown, Makeup For Asian Women], please click HERE
♥ Cynthia Z ^.^