We got back late from Dundee on Friday night. Yesterday was supposed to be a day to rest with only Grey's Anatomy, but somehow I ended up doing this look- not just eyes, a whole complete look, which I will post shortly.
*It's okay if you don't like it. Even Mr.CZ found me very scary-looking =D
I guess I felt inspired, coz we finally found an apartment we liked in Dundee, Scotland. Btw, we'll only be there for 6 months.
[To be continued...]
- Minty green + turquoise eyeshadows from MUA Poptastic Palette. SORRY I WENT FOR THIS COLOR AGAIN! I DON'T KNOW WHY!
- Urban Decay Blackout (black) on bottom lash line & corners of top lid.
- Black and silver glitter is Collection Glam Crystals Dazzling Gel Liner in Rock Chick.
- Lakme Kohl Ultimate to tightline & to smudge on bottom lash line.
So.... The Story of our 2-day apartment hunting:
We were supposed to view one apartment. We met the agent in front of the door....she lead us inside and it was one of the most dingy walkways I'd ever seen! Red door, grey cemented walls & floor, dirty stairs.... Mr.CZ & I looked at each other with horror. As we started ascending the dirty stairs, the agent stopped walking, turned to us, and said, "There's a nice apartment on X street. Would you like to have a look at that one?"
We: "YES! Is it better than this?"
Agent: "Yes, much better. It's a brand new apartment. Nobody's ever lived there. This one *she scrunched up her nose*", then she lead us back out into the street without showing us the apartment at the top of those dreadful stairs.
We reached X Street. I noticed a book store, a takeout restaurant named Curry-something & a nice bakery. We're going inside a door next to the bakery. Ooh, apartment is above the bakery!
It was an odd-looking (read: down-market) walkway. There was a small messy garden with a clothes line, and 3-4 black garbage bins in the corner. First impression was a put-off, third rate. Then we reached the stairway with minty green walls...and we stopped outside a metallic door.
We got inside, and OMG it's a brand new 3 bedroom apartment, and it's very nicely done up! Grey carpeted floors, L-shaped couch in kitchen-slash-living room, multi-colored cushions, fun colored lamps. It had all the amenities & white goods. The bedrooms were awesome with the same type of decor as in the living room.
|1 of the extra bedrooms looked like this|
We fell in love (mainly coz everything's new), and immediately wanted to take it. It's so meant to be,
weI thought. Agent informed us there were a couple of interested students who viewed it earlier that day too, but they want couple tenants for the place. Okay, now we must take it asap! Long story short, we had to wait till the next day to know if the owner of the place, who's all the way in Hong Kong, will agree to 6 months. [We cancelled rest of the viewings that evening.]
Mr.CZ was uneasy that whole night coz he really wanted the place. I played the calm-whatever-happens wife, but ya, I couldn't stop thinking about the colored lamps & cushions & contemporary kitchen.
We had 4 viewings with other agents that day. Before that, we asked people about X Street:
- One said: "It's nice, but be careful when walking at night." =O
- One said: "Nah, I think it's fine. It's just that you might run into bad areas with drug addicts and such. You can't avoid them in places where there's public transportation." o_O
Doubt crept in, but we got an early call that we got the place...and they also increased the price a little bit. A tactic of property agents, I guess (rascals!). We were only half happy. Okay, let's go look at the 4 other places in the meanwhile:
- 1st apartment: Nice & clean. No dishwasher, no clothes dryer (so necessary esp in UK!). *X Street apartment was better.*
- 2nd apartment: Nice, view of the river, a tiny unimpressive balcony. The couch was snot so nice- indigo blue and it needed to be steam cleaned. *Yes, X Street was still better.*
- 3rd apartment: Jaw-dropping! *Something better than X Street...finally!*
|This pic was taken off the web & is not our apartment, but it's similar and in the same building.|
View of a river & it's also brand new! New building with elevators and clean carpeted hallways....and it's just 10 mins from the City Center! Now this.....this, is meant to be!
Oh, but we have one more appointment. Let's just go see for the heck of it:
- 4th Apartment: Worst than the 1st one on Day 1. It was simply HORRIBLE! It stank, and there were chips of old wall paint all over the walkway, coz they were in the process of re-painting. 3-4 red chips actually looked like blood....or maybe it's really blood? The apartment was old-fashioned and...ugh, let's not talk about it! Oh, I was wearing my ivory faux fur coat with the owl, btw.
"Okay, let's run and go pay for 3rd Apartment!"
So that's the joy of apartment hunting in a foreign land.
Now I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in reading my apartment hunting story...haha! Nevermind, I will come and read it again when I'm old and want to relive our UK adventures =D
Do share if you have any interesting house hunting stories. I'd love to read!