This is for all the Brazilian wax virgins out there who are considering getting it done but are afraid you may never come back out of that little room. Believe me, it is worth it! It'll grow back at a much slower pace and a lot sparser and softer too, minus the prickly ingrowns.
Tips from a first-timer:
- Pick a reputed place with experienced professionals.
- Book your appointment on a weekday, when it's not so busy.
- On D-day, SHOWER before leaving home. If you're going to work first, carry some feminine wipes to 'freshen up' before the session and wear soft cotton underwear (no G's or thongs and definitely nothing lacy!)
- You could take a painkiller 15-30 minutes before you reach the place.
- Let your beautician know it's your first time.
- She will ask you whether you want the hard wax or soft wax. Pick the hard wax. It'll cost a little more but will hurt a lot less than with the regular soft wax (used with strips.)
- You'll also need to decide what type you want- Full, heart, landing strip, and lots more. Nowadays even initials, colored designs and whatnot.
This video will give you an idea of the procedure with hard wax:
- It will take about half an hour to 45 minutes
- Try not to tense up before the 'pulling' and please, there's no need to screeeam on top of your voice.
- Divert your mind. Think- sitting on a beach sipping margaritas...ballroom dancing with Shah Rukh Khan or Edward Cullen...being in a MAC store. Whatever pumps up your happy hormones.
- It'll be over before you know it.
- Treat yourself to your favorite Baskin Robbins ice-cream or anything nice and cold (You'll know why.) And afterwards, maybe a lipstick or lingerie, to reward your bravery.
Things you might need for after-care: Aloe vera gel, a cooling ice pack, and a gentle lightening scrub (for later.)
***Don't do it yourself the first time.
I got it done at a place called Strip in Singapore.
For girls in India looking for places that provide this service, I wish you the best of luck and please let me know when you find any, coz I'm at my wit's end trying to find one myself. I called some popular beauty salons and most didn't even know what it means.Some salons do bikini waxing though (some list as "V"), which doesn't mean a full Brazilian.
Good luck ladies! =)